Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Memories: Part 2


When I was in 6th grade and my sister was in 2nd grade, we began a new tradition at our house on Christmas Eve. RyAnn and I would plan a "Christmas Service." It always started with a prelude, either me playing the piano or RyAnn on her recorder or very small keyboard. Typically, it would move into singing, welcoming guests, offering, special music, sermon, invitation, and closing. Our offering always consisted of passing around a gold trash can that my parents had received as a gift one year. The goal was always to see how much noise we could make putting coins in it. Special music involved us normally singing a song with RyAnn's microphones. I don't know if we ever made it through a special music without laughing. RyAnn and I would switch roles of preaching and singing from year to year. During the invitation time, we were very creative in having new members added to our small congregation. One year our new dog Lizzie "joined" our church. Another year, we had our dolls join the church. At the end of the service, we always shared favorite Bible verses and we loved getting Mom and Dad to contribute as well. Our Christmas Eve service was never complete unless we had a bulletin and it was video taped. So even today we can go back and enjoy some of the laughter and warm memories. I just wish I had saved one of the bulletins for this blog, but I do have a picture!

1 comment:

RyAnn said...

Great Picture. Our hair was so beautiful. Maybe someday our kids will carry on the tradition.