Friday, May 12, 2006

For My Mom


Mom, RyAnn, and Stephanie (me)

With Mother's Day upon us, I wanted to share with you a little about my Mom and what she means to me. Growing up, I never realized how blessed I was to have a mom like my Mom. My Mom met my Dad when she was seventeen. They were married when she was eighteen and I was born when she was nineteen. She dreamed of getting a college education but put that off to stay home with my sister and I. I still remember her playing dolls with me when I was little. She would lay with my sister and I every night until we were asleep. As we got older, she started taking classes when we were in school. Eventually, she received her teaching degree and began teaching when my sister and I were a little older. Going through the teen years, she was one of my closest friends. I'm sure I had my moments, but for the most part I think we enjoyed each other's company.

Up until this past September, we lived minutes away from my parents. I definitely took that for granted. Sure, we would talk on the phone and go shopping, but I just assumed we would always live close by, even though I knew in the back of my mind that being a minister's wife meant moving when God calls. We saw each other about once a week for Sunday lunch and sometimes a little more, but it was part of the routine. But now that over a thousand miles separate us, I treasure the times we spend together. Our visits have become more meaningful to me, and I am thankful for everyday we see each other. I am also thankful for cell phones which allow us to talk for free everyday and for the webcam so that my boys will know her. She is still my favorite person to go shopping with; so, I save most of my mall excursions until we are together. I still love getting Christmas presents and birthday presents from her, because she is probably the only person that can buy me something that is not on my "list" that I will like. And whether we are visiting her in Texas or she is out here visiting us, I feel at home. Thank you for everything you do for me, for loving me and listening to me. Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you!

2 comments:

RyAnn said...

How sweet. I hate that picture of me!

Anonymous said...

That was the sweetest gift I could have received for Mother's Day.

Love you,

Mom