Friday, May 12, 2006

For My Mother


Caleb, Granny, and Josiah

Kerry and I had been dating for almost two months before I met his Mother. At that time, I already felt a peace from God that Kerry and I would marry. So, in the back of my mind, I knew I was meeting my future mother-n-law. I can't say I had any major expectations, but I was a little nervous about making a good impression. What if Kerry's Mother didn't like me and told him that I wasn't the girl for him? Would he tell me it was over? Upon our first meeting, I knew that everything would be okay. She made me feel right at home and even accepted the fact that I was a picky eater. After that first visit, she would send me kind notes in the mail which always made my day. I remember that she came to my college graduation even when she didn't have to. After Kerry and I were married, I remember going to visit her and bringing all of our laundry with us. Do you know what she did? She helped us wash and fold all of it.

When Caleb was born, I didn't realize how our relationship would change and it did for the better. I was now a mother of a son, and I finally understood all the emotions she probably has when she thinks of Kerry and Kent. And I know how strong those are. We started gettting together once a month, and I think that's when our relationship started to grow. We would either go to her house, meet halfway, or she would come to our house. Caleb has such a special bond with his Granny and I hope that one day Josiah will too. We have traveled together and she is one of the most laid back travelers anyone could ask for. When she visits, it's like she's always been here, and there's no awkwardness, just a chance to catch up and visit and talk about our boys. I'm even able to cry on the phone with her on hard, lond days. I am so thankful that God gave me the best mother-n-law there is around. I only pray that I will be able to be the same if my two boys marry someday. Happy Mother's Day! I love you!

No comments: