Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Age Difference

Tonight I just noticed something. When people meet my two boys, they often comment on the age gap. I have never really thought much about it since in Texas everyone seemed to know the story. Since moving to California, people have no idea what our life looked like in the years between having Caleb and Josiah. So, I thought I'd take a moment to share how God truly worked in our lives and took care of my desires.

Before Caleb was born, I thought we'd have between 2-4 kids and have a wonderful life as a family. I gave no thought to age spacing at the time. Things changed several months after Caleb was born. I was asked to take care of Pappy on a daily basis. Pappy, my grandfather, had dementia and osteoporosis. It filled my heart with joy to be able to take care of Pappy. When Caleb was a year old, I started thinking how wonderful it would be to have another baby but knew that I was in no way ready for Caleb to not be the baby. God answered my prayers in another way. Our neighbors asked me to take care of their brand new baby Ethan two days a week. Perfect! I got my baby fix and got to send him home at the end of the day. After that year, I would have taken him as my own if it were ever needed and still would in a heart beat. Now I was taking care of Caleb, Pappy, and Ethan. You would think I was content with all of that, but the boys were both getting past the small baby phase. Then along came Kylie, Ethan's sister. We bonded right away, and she was definitely pampered by myself and the boys. By this time, Pappy was needing a little more attention, and Kerry and I realized that we would not think of adding to our family until Pappy went to Heaven. Plus, Caleb was such a joy, we had a hard time imagining loving another one just as much.

So now I had Pappy (95), Caleb (4), Ethan (3), and Kylie (2). And guess what happened next? My sister got pregnant and needed to finish up the school year teaching and wanted me to take care of their baby Brock. I knew I could not handle everything along with homeschooling Caleb, but I also did not have a peace from God to tell any of them no. So, I waited. Definitely not an easy thing to do. RyAnn was not going to need me until January of 2005. I endured several months of praying and getting the answer to trust God and wait. Brock (my nephew) arrived on Thursday, November 11, 2004. Pappy passed away on Monday, November 15, 2004. My prayers were answered. I loved Pappy as a grandfather and as a son. It was hard, but I knew he was in a much better place. And now I would be able to care for Ethan, Kylie, and Brock. Then something really amazing happened. We found out we were expecting out second baby on Friday, November19, 2004. It was so amazing how God worked everything all out. We knew if our baby turned out to be a boy, his middle name would be Preston, after Pappy. I got to enjoy the beginning months of watching my nephew Brock grow. And I got to love on Ethan and Kylie just a little more.

Now God has us in California. I know it will be a journey, an exciting one to say the least. Only God knows what he has in store for us. I have to admit, I am a little curious, but will do my best to remain patient. So, that expains the age spacing of our two, but I would claim 6, children.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What a sweet post about your wonderful grandpa and your trust in God. I am reminded everytime I read your blog of how good your heart is and what a wonderful example you set for everyone you meet (me included).