Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Potty Time

When Josiah turned a year old, I decided it was time to bring the potty chair out. I brought it out about the same time with Caleb. Josiah has had a lot of fun just exploring it -- opening and closing the lid, sitting on it, standing on it, and carrying it around. After our trip to Texas, Josiah figured out how to take his diaper off and can frequently be seen running around the house naked. I'm okay with this. This happened with Caleb as well and he was completely potty trained by a little after 2 (excluding sleeping times). That meant that I didn't have to remind him to go to the bathroom, he knew when he had to go and went. For the past few weeks, whenever Josiah would take his diaper off, I would sit him on the potty and sing a little song and praise him for sitting on it. He thought he was such a big boy. There have also been a few accidents on the floor. No big deal. I can clean them up easily enough and he's learning where his pee-pee comes from. Tonight, after bathtime, I sat him on the potty, and simply asked if he could go pee-pee. He looked down and actually went pee-pee. I was so excited! I could tell he was excited too. Daddy and brother praised him as well. It's been my goal to at least get him to understand the concept of going to the bathroom before the baby is born. So, it looks like we have a good start and at only 13 and 1/2 months! Caleb still holds the record in the household at 13 months. Maybe he'll be easier to potty train than Caleb, and Caleb was super easy. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Panda-Mom said...

Sounds like everything came out OK....a little tongue in cheek humor for ya! ; )

The O'Connell's said...

WOW! I need to do this with Kendra. She seems interested...we will see!