Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Perfect Christmas Ornament



My parents started a Christmas tradition when I was born which was to get a new ornament every year to put on the tree. Both RyAnn and I got to pick out our own ornaments each year. Most of the time, my Dad would take us to the Hallmark store and let us choose our ornaments. RyAnn always made her choice quickly. It always took me longer to decide, especially since until I got to college, I felt I needed a round ornament. But those are still very fond memories for me.

I wanted to carry this same tradition on for our children. Of course, the first year, I picked out the each boy's ornament and after that, I tried to look for things that they like to represent their interests. After Caleb's first Christmas ornament, he has chosen either an airplane or helicopter every year, until this year. Caleb is like me, it normally takes him awhile to choose the perfect ornament. I had him look online at Macy's, Dillard's, and Hallmark to give him an idea of what was available this year. I even took him inside a Hallmark store about a month ago and he said he wanted the airplane ornament. Today, we set out to the Hallmark store and came back with two motorcycle ornaments, one for Caleb and one for Josiah. I already knew Josiah needed a motorcycle since he loves Daddy's motorcyle. But I was surprised when Caleb changed his mind and went for the motorcycle. So, we have two of the same motorcycle ornament hanging on the same limb on the tree so that they can be together.

No comments: