Sunday, December 17, 2006

What Are We Up To?

Life is staying pretty calm around here, except for Kerry being pretty busy at church. Our church will have 13 Christmas services this year on campus between Friday and Sunday. We will also be having 5 services at the San Clemente campus. On top of that, the service will be broadcasted on Fox News several times between Christmas and New Years along with being broadcasted via the Armed Forces Network to aabout 800,000 service men and women in 177 countries.

Caleb has all of a sudden taken a growth spurt. I knew it was going to happen, I just didn't know when. All of his size 6 pants are way too short now and he is in size 7 slim. The regular size 7 is way too big on him in the waist and baggy all around. I love how cute he looks in the slim size. He still is enjoying his longer hair which is very thick. It's about time to have it shaped again. I would love to continue cutting his hair how it has always been, but Kerry says it's just hair and we need to let him decide (within reason). He is learning how to borrow when it comes to subtraction and I'm having to figure out the best way to explain it to him. He's been very patient with this new skill. We've also started learning about how a glossary works and his spelling words are getting to be a challenge. I was surprised at the words we're working on during Christmas time -- Bethlehem, ornaments, manger, shepherds -- they are all Christmas words. He picked out a Christmas present from Granny a couple of nights ago -- a pair of Heely's. If you're not familiar with them, they are the shoes with wheels on the heels. We let him try them on for a few minutes last night and he got frustrated that it wasn't easy. They will be wrapped up and put under the tree and then hopefully he will master them quickly.

Josiah is into everything. He has broken about 5 ornaments. Fortunately, the were my Walmart ones from my first tree when I was in college. There was nothing sentimental about them. He's starting to smile and laugh and scrunch up his nose and says no-no when he knows he shouldn't be doing something but can't seem to resist. I try not to laugh, but sometimes I can't help myself. He still climbs on everything and now knows how to move the kitchen chairs to get something he wants -- like my cell phone, digital camera, knives, breakables. He thinks Caleb is the coolest big brother. He likes to snuggle up and go to sleep next to Mommy with one pacifier in his mouth and holding another one. He thinks it's fun to try to go potty. He seems to love dogs and points them out anywhere. He thinks his belly button is a baby. We've been pointing to my stomach and trying to explain that mommy has a baby in her tummy. He walks around and pulls his shirt up saying baby. Oh well. He is also learning to say new words all the time even though they don't always sound like the specific word. He version of please involves making the "mmmm" sound and bending his knees and raising up. He's very consistent though. He likes to get my attention by saying "mom" so I will look at something he has done or is doing. He sometimes calls me "Mimi" which I assume is another version of Mommy which he can also say.

I've decided I need to get a better system of keeping the house clean before baby number 3 arrives. I guess I just need to put things back up where they go immediately, but sometimes I just get lazy or we come in at night and put something on the table. Josiah is just so good at finding those little things. I feel I'm constantly having to take something out of his hands that he has found around the house.

Christmas is getting close! I'm so ready to see my family. Seven more sleeps according to Caleb! I finally get to see my new nephew for the first time. And we get to see Brock which both of my boys are ready to see and play with. And we can't forget seeing the rest of our family and friends. It will be so much fun!

3 comments:

RyAnn said...

We are counting down the days! I can't wait to see the excitement on Brock's face when he sees his cousins! We will try to be germ free when you get here! Can't wait to see you!!

Panda-Mom said...

I wish we would be able to see you guys when you're here, but I know both of our schedules are crazy. Maybe a little something will work out. I'd love to see you pregnant again! ; )

The O'Connell's said...

I know you are very excited! Enjoy your time! Will look forward to hearing all about!