Sunday, September 09, 2007

2 Years

Friday, September 7, marked our two year mark here in California. I still remember the day vividly. I woke up early that Wednesday morning to say goodbye to my mom before she left for work that day. We were both crying as she hugged six week old Josiah one last time. In my mind, I was wondering if I could really do this thing, move half way around the country from my family that I was so used to seeing on a weekly basis.

Year one was pretty much a blur. We were considered newbies out here and people were very understanding as we adjusted to life out here. I had my ups and downs but God truly did place different people in our lives at different times during that first year. I still remember standing in line at Albertson's soon after we arrived and started talking with the lady in front of me. She let me know that she did not attend the same church we did, but handed me one of her deposit slips from her checkbook and told me if I ever needed anything just to give her a call. God also placed some Baylor grads in our lives as well which helped make me feel a little closer to home.

This past year we were no longer newbies. Reality that we weren't just on an extended vacation started to sink in. God blessed us with our third son, Levi. Caleb and Josiah have grown so much this year. Josiah is taking after his brother and talks nonstop. And Caleb wants to do everything Kerry does. And Kerry is still ready to try almost anything. During this year, God has sent me a true blue friend, Jessica. Now I can't imagine her and her family not being apart of our lives. I can be completely honest with her. She knows the good and the bad. Where did the time go this year?

God only knows what this next year will bring. I have to admit that I'm glad I don't know what the future holds. I am excited about it though. Knowing that God is in control of our lives is all I need to know and I'll do my best not to worry about it.

5 comments:

RyAnn said...

I still remember vividly walking into your house with you for the first time. I thought you were going to cry, so I thought I was going to cry. I kept swallowing so I would not cry and kept telling myself "Don't cry, You are the support"! I am glad yall are enjoying your time in Cali, but we sure miss ya here in Texas. I know two little boys that wish there cousins were near!

The O'Connell Clan said...

This brought a little tear to my eye! You and your family are such a blessing to our lives! We too can't imagine our lives without you guys! You are such an encouragement to me through your friendship, your laughter, who you are as a mom and wife, and most importantly your relationship with our amazing God! Thank you for allowing me to cross the line and for crossing mine! I know part of your heart is in Texas but we sure are glad you guys are here! Dan and I were talking about it the other day and it is so weird to think we have only known you guys for such a short time because we feel like we have known you guys forever...I guess that is a good sign of comfort level and true friends!

ColoradoDreaming said...

I loved ALL of your vacation pics. They are wonderful!!! And I understand how moving so far away is hard. When I was almost 20 and John and I moved up to Arlington from a little town called Alice that is 45 min.s from Corpus Christi that was so hard. We knew no one but two of his friends from school. I had no one. No church and it was hard. But God is so good and gives us what we need. I am happy that you have found a special friend, we all need those! Happy Anniversary! Can't wait to see what God does in your lives in year 3!

Panda-Mom said...

I seriously can't believe that it has been TWO years! So when ya coming home?! ; ) Texas misses y'all!

Mandy said...

Quite a journey your family is on, but it's so refreshing to see a family stepping out in faith like you guys have. Congrats on 2 years in California, and I can't wait to see what God has in store for you.