Tuesday, October 23, 2007

California Burning

On every channel, there is something about the fires here in California. We're surrounded by the fires, but we're safe. But it has also hit close to home. A family in our small group spent some time at our house yesterday because the fire was so close to their house. It was hard to believe as we sat in front of the television how close the fire actually was to their house. Whenever I've heard of a natural disaster occurring, I've truly felt for the families, but when I start knowing exactly where specific roads are located, it makes the situation a whole lot more real. We can even look out our windows and see the smoke in the air.

The boys and I have been inside pretty much ever since Sunday night, especially Levi. One of the news stations mentioned if you had a heart defect to stay inside. Kerry has been great running to the store if we need something. I've let the other two out back for a few minutes at a time but I can tell that they would love to spend all day outside after being indoors for so long. We're thanking God for our safety and praying for those families that can't go to their homes right now or have lost their homes. We're also praying for the fire fighters and others who are working so hard to control the fires and who are organizing relief efforts.

3 comments:

GloryandGrace said...

Praying here as well... I have a dear friend at school who is from the San Diego area. Last I heard from her, numerous family members of hers in the area had been evacuated.

You're right on how eery it is when such a disaster hits so close to home...

Amy said...

Thanks for letting us know you're safe! I had been wondering about your area...

The Blake Family said...

I'm glad that you are ok...we are receiving the news here in Japan as well and are just so sad to hear of the devastation. I know how that feels having a disaster effect you personally...that's how we feel here with the typhoons and after evacuating in Florida with the hurricanes when we were there. Hope you stay safe.