Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Week 2 in Florida: A Trip to the Emergency Room


Yesterday, the boys and I had the privilege of visiting St. Mary's Children's emergency room. I think I mentioned that Levi had broken out in a rash on Saturday which was thought to be sea lice. Tuesday morning, he woke up appearing even worse than he did the day before. The rash just kept spreading. He was pretty lethargic as well. He didn't want to play which is very unlike him, especially in the mornings. He would just snuggle in my lap not even trying to get down and play. The boys and I had a couple of errands to run after school yesterday. We just happened to be near Kerry's office. After the errands, I noticed Levi's hands and feet looked swollen. We drove to Kerry's office where upon seeing Levi said that I really needed to get him to a doctor. We don't have a pediatrician yet and I didn't want to go to an urgent care center, so the boys and I went to the emergency room.

Fortunately, it wasn't crowded at all. It was right at 5:00pm. To make a long story short, it's sea lice. According to the doctor, he had an allergic reaction to the sea lice. He prescribed prednisone and that was basically it. Not being familiar with the area or not, I'm not sure if this is the hospital we should use in the future, but I feel God led us there not just for Levi. While checking in, the nurse, who was doing the initial assessment, and I started talking. She goes to Christ Fellowship and I was asking her about pediatricians. I explained what I was looking for in a pediatrician and she said she had a friend of hers that sounded similar and would call her to get the name of her pediatrician and then call me. I'm hoping she will call sometime tomorrow. There was also another great nurse that gave me the name of the group of pediatricians she uses. It was just so nice to feel welcomed even in not the greatest of circumstances.

Levi is slowly recovering. We could tell a big difference this morning in his hands and feet. He even was talkative this morning and played for a little while. It didn't last too long until he was back to snuggling. I know each day he will continue to improve.

No comments: