Monday, August 25, 2008

38 Weeks: Another Change in Plans

This past week has been basically awful for me. I woke up Tuesday at 1:30am to the power going off in our home and the realization that my back was hurting on the left side. "Not again," I thought. Here comes another kidney stone and so late in the pregnancy. I was in a lot of pain and was barely able to function. Kerry stayed home that day to take care of the boys and I prayed the kidney stone would pass quickly. By Thursday evening, the kidney stone still had not passed. I wasn't able to take care of my own children, and I was in the worst pain I had ever experienced. I finally gave in and let Kerry take me to the emergency room. Kelly, who works with Kerry, was at the house in 30 minutes to take care of the boys. We got to the emergency room and were sent to labor and delivery for about and hour to monitor Silas and make sure I wasn't in labor. I knew I wasn't and that was confirmed after all the monitoring. I was then sent back to the emergency room. All the emergency room staff was wonderful. The doctor immediately saw how much pain I was in and gave me some pain medicine. When that didn't make a dent in the pain, he tried some more. I was then sent for a sonogram of my kidneys where it appeared I did have a kidney stone. I was also severely dehydrated even though I was trying to drink and eat over the past few days. They finally admitted me close to midnight.

Kerry went home to be with the boys once I was settled in my room for the night. Friday morning at 5:00am, the urologist comes into my room to meet with me. I was in so much pain and on pain medicine that I know I didn't process everything he was saying. There was talk of placing a stint to drain the kidney until after Silas was born. I kept thinking that I would pass the kidney stone. During this time, my wonderful Mom was on an airplane to Florida to come take care of the boys. Another wonderful lady from our church, Betsy, drove our boys to pick up Nana while Kerry came up to be with me. Before Kerry arrived for the day, Donna, our pastor's wife, came and sat with me. Lets just say, she got to see alot of the "fun" stuff - a shot given, lovely white hose put on to help with circulation, a trip to the bathroom, and how I look at my worst while all drugged up. The on call obstetrician came in and she was very nice as well to check on Silas. I had some sort of sonogram on Silas to make sure he was okay and his score was perfect, 8 out of 8. The rest of the day was pretty much a blur laying in bed in pain, pain medicine as often as I could have it, fluids being pumped in to my veins, and attempts to drink fluids since I was on a clear liquid diet.

Saturday, the first urologist's partner came in and once again discussed placing the stint to drain the kidney. I really wanted to wait until Monday for the procedure. After Kerry drove home to spend time with the boys and my Mom came to sit with me, Kerry called back and said he thought I needed to go ahead and have it done. He made the calls to all the doctors and to make a long story short, the surgery took place on Saturday evening, close to 8:00pm. I have never had surgery in my life so I was really nervous. I was given a spinal because I was pregnant. There were at least six people in the operating room for just and Silas. It was slightly overwhelming. The kidney stone was completely blocking the kidney. The doctor couldn't even put the original size stint because the kidney stone was so large. Thankfully, a smaller one fit and so far it's working well. I was later told my kidney was in trouble. As soon as the spinal wore off, I was able to feel complete relief in my back. Kerry even got to go and get me a milkshake that evening and it tasted so good. We spent Sunday pretty much waiting to go home. I had to have another sonogram on my kidneys to make sure the stint was working properly. We also visited with the urologist and obstetrician. Then we waited for what seemed like hours to go home.

Yesterday afternoon, we arrived home. I was so glad to be home and so emotional as well. Since I was feeling better, I was really ready to see my boys and start taking care of them again. It wasn't the reunion I expected. Josiah and Levi wanted nothing to do with me. They cried if Kerry or my Mom tried to get them to let me hold them. Another frustrating thing is I'm on moderate bedrest until after Silas is born. I do understand but it's hard when I can't lift Levi. I can hold my boys on the couch, but I can't carry them or do any cleaning, cooking, or driving. I have never felt so helpless in my life. Today is better with the boys. Caleb was the only one excited to see me last night, but Levi was ready to snuggle this morning and off and on the rest of the day. Josiah sat with me briefly this morning but having his Nana here is a very special treat for him.

Due to the fact that I have kidney issues now, Silas will be born in the hospital. The on call doctor has agreed to take me through the end of this pregnancy which hopefully won't be much longer. Several weeks after Silas arrives, I will have a complete work up on my kidneys, cat scan included. The stint will be taken out and the kidney stone broken up. I'm hoping that will be the end of my kidney issues. My Mom was supposed to go home tomorrow, but she was able to change her plane ticket for free and stay until Thursday. I am so glad to know that she will be here to continue to help take care of us. Kerry will be here pretty much the entire weekend and my Dad arrives on Monday.

I will admit that I do not feel like my complete self yet, like I could take on the world doing all the laundry and cleaning. At this point, I'm just thankful to be at home spending time with my boys on the couch and visiting with my Mom. Kerry has been amazing during all of this. He has managed the house, the boys, and took care of me. I could not have made it through this without him. We couldn't have made it without the help of my Mom either or the wonderful people who helped out until she arrived. Thank you all so much!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Our family has been praying for you so much Stephanie. I can't imagine how frustrating and tiring this must all be for you guys. We wish you the best and wish we could be there to help. So glad your parents are able to be there and that there is church family there for you as well. Much love and continued prayers!

Brad and Kelly Baker said...

Stephanie,
I'm just glad to know that you're feeling better and on your way to complete health again! I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat :) In the meantime, Brad and I are still here if you need anything else! Praying for you...

Anonymous said...

wow! We have been praying for you guys during all this. So glad your parents are able to be there to help. Take care and keep us posted. Love you all. Bartleys

Colorado Dreamin' said...

I am glad you are home and doing ok. Have been praying for you! Take it easy! love ya!

The Blake Family said...

Oh Stephanie, I am so so sorry that you are having to go through all this! I will pray that things go as smoothly as possible during your labor, delivery and following kidney workup. I'm glad that you are presently feeling better and that your mom was able to come be with you and the boys. Kudos for Kerry too!!

Kristen OQ said...

What a roller coaster you have been on the past few weeks (and months). Hope the next couple of weeks go smoothly & peacefully. Praying for you guys!

The Walkers said...

What an ordeal! Please know that our prayers are with you and that our God has everything in his hands and is working for his good. We love you, Kerri