Friday, August 29, 2008

39 Weeks

My Mom just left yesterday afternoon. We could not have made it through this week without her. I should have believed the doctors when they said I would truly need to take it easy. I really thought that after a day or two of rest, I'd be ready to take over my house. My Mom has done it all this week. She has cooked, cleaned, washed clothes, and spent tons of times loving on the boys. She took time to let them swim almost everyday, played games with Josiah, colored with Caleb, and snuggled with Levi. She has helped label drawers (to make it easier for Granddaddy to find things when he gets here on Monday). She helped me pack for the hospital and helped me think through a lot of things.

I tend to take care of things myself even if it might be easier to ask for help sometimes. I have seen God at work this week with people's willingness to bring us meals and gift cards for meals. I know this really eases the burden from Kerry and my Mom since they are the ones who have been taking care of everything. And for my mom's willingness to stop what she was doing to come take care of us. And for people last week who were willing to stop what they were doing to help us. It's been very humbling to be where I am right now. Even asking help from my husband is sometimes hard for me. After Levi fell asleep next to me on the couch tonight, I had to ask Kerry if he could take him to bed. I'm used to just taking care of it myself. I could sit here and get depressed over my inability to take care of everything, but I'm going to do my best to thank God for showing me his love through all the people who have reached out during this time.

Changing topics - My Mom drove us to get haircuts at the nearest salon yesterday. That was one of those things on my list of things to do that I was thinking I would have to let go but we decided to give it a try. Fortunately, there was no wait and the lady who ended up cutting our hair was out neighbor (who I hadn't met yet) from across the street). What another blessing! She recognized Caleb since she has a son his age and they talk over the fence. Nana had already gotten Josiah's haircut a few days ago. Caleb now has a nice haircut, I feel good about my hair, and Levi got his haircut for the first time. He now looks like a little boy. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow while I'm on the couch tomorrow. The outing wore me out even though it was just walking to the car and back but it was worth it knowing that's done.

We also started school back up yesterday after Nana left for the airport. Once again, this is something that can be done from the couch and I think Caleb was glad to get back into somewhat of a routine even if it is for a few days. It did make me feel good to know that I was able to accomplish something even though I was stationed on the couch. I will wait to start Josiah back up once I'm completely back on my feet. I told Caleb since we missed so many days, we'll work everyday until Silas arrives. He didn't even complain. I can tell he's missed having a routine during the day.

Kerry is home pretty much the next three days except during the times he will be at church. Fortunately, those times are spaced out. Caleb is a wonderful help when Kerry is not around. He did not complain one bit today after my Mom left and Kerry had not gotten home yet. He is able to lift Levi when I need his help and I truly appreciate his positive attitude when asked to do something. Josiah has even been able to help out by picking up things off the floor since I can't really bend down. He can bring me a pillow or run grab a diaper. They have really shown what they are capable of this week. I cannot thank everyone enough for all the continued help and prayers coming our way. For now though, I'm headed to bed.

1 comment:

The O'Connell Clan said...

I am praising the Lord that there has been help surrounding you and that God has shown you some amazing things this week. We are so much alike it scares me sometimes...this post really made me miss you! I have spent some time this week too feeling so horrible that I wasn't closer but am so very thankful for the people God has put in your life in Florida. What a blessing your parents both are! You are truly blessed by your boys. We are continuing to pray for you...miss you all so much!