Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cat Scan Results and Lithotripsy Scheduled

Last Friday, I had my cat scan. I have always been a picky eater and certain tastes just don't sit well on my taste buds. I had to drink this lovely liquid the night before and morning of and I'm surprised I was able to hold it down. I think it was mainly will power since I didn't want to have to reschedule the cat scan due to not being able to drink the liquid. Anyway, the cat scan showed that I have two kidney stones, both on the left side. The original one is approximately 9mm which is why it's stuck. There is one more still in my kidney as well. The plan is to take care of both of them at the same time.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for a surgery called lithotripsy. It involves breaking up the kidney stones with shock waves or something like that. According to the National Kidney Foundation, this is technically not a surgery. Since I will be receiving a general anesthesia, I think I will count it as a surgery though. I have never been given general anesthesia before and I think I'm more nervous about that than the surgery itself. I have to be at the hospital at 7am and the surgery is scheduled for 8:30am. It should take less than an hour. If everything goes well, I should be going home around lunch time. At some point during the next week, the doctor will take another x-ray to make sure everything looks okay and remove the stint.

Kerry will be staying at home taking care of the boys only because it is my request. I know he would prefer to be at the hospital but I will be more relaxed knowing that he is home taking care of the boys. I will drive myself to the hospital in the morning and then he and the boys we'll come pick me up when I'm done. We'll figure out the car later. Please pray that all goes well tomorrow.

3 comments:

The Blake Family said...

I will pray for a safe and quick surgery with no complications and a quick recovery. I will also send prayers up for Kerry and the boys as they await your phone call. Stephanie, I do hope it all goes as planned and that you are feeling better and able to get back to nursing Silas quickly. Bless your heart.

The O'Connell Clan said...

Of course we are praying! Oh how I wish I was in Florida. Praying that you can get back to the boys ASAP!

Amy said...

We will pray for a smooth day for you! I wish we lived closer - I could come and sit with you while Kerry was with the boys. But we will pray that you can get home as quickly as possible!