Thursday, September 04, 2008

Silas' Birth Story

Monday evening, my Dad arrived for the week. We were very excited because we were finally at peace that Silas could arrive anytime now. On Tuesday, I had an appointment with my obstetrician. I was a little surprised to find that she had scheduled an induction for the next day at 6:00am. I had to go directly over to the hospital to make sure they had all of my information. I didn't get much sleep that night partly over knowing I would be away from my other 3 boys again and partly because this birth wasn't going at all how I had planned or desired.

Wednesday morning, Kerry and I got ready to head to the hospital at 5:30am only to see Caleb coming to us crying at 5:25am because he wanted to go with us. We told him that he needed to be quiet because he could not wake up his brothers or Granddad, put him in our bed, gave him some breakfast, turned on the tv, and told him we loved him. We get in the car and barely turn off of our street to be pulled over by a policeman. Kerry was driving a little too fast down our street. Fortunately, the officer showed grace on Kerry and reminded him to drive the speed limit.

We arrived at the hospital t 6:00am. At 6:45am my iv was in and fluids were started. Antibiotics for the Group B Strep were started at about 7:00am and Pitocin was started at about 7:45am. I was between 3 and 4 cm dilated, 50% effaced. From then until about 11:30am, we sat and waited. It was great to see that our nurse for the day was Amy, the same nurse that monitored Silas throughout my entire surgery and recovery the week before. It made me feel so much better knowing that she was the one that was going to be with us. We had asked when we first arrived if Amy was going to be working that day. We mentioned that she had been with us the week before. I'm just glad God worked it out for her to be with us again.

At 11:30am my 2nd round of antibiotics was given. By that time, the contractions were starting to get a little stronger and I decided that since I was in a hospital and not at home, I was going to use pain medication. Lets just say, I'm glad I've had the idea of natural childbirth in my head for the last couple of months. I asked Amy to check me around noon and I was dilated to a 5, a little disappointing after being there all morning. At 12:15pm Dr. Hearing came in and broke my water. Immediately, I noticed a change in the contractions. At 12:40pm the anesthesiologist came in to give me the epidural. I requested something to take the edge off before the epidural and I was given a little Nubain. It didn't take long for the epidural to supposedly be in but I noticed no change whatsoever. The anesthesiologist basically said it could take up to 20 minutes to start working and left the room. So much for that.

At 12:57pm I was dilated to an 8 and the contractions were changing right before my eyes. They weren't as painful as the kidney stone the week before, but they were intense. From then on, the contractions were a blur filled with the strong desire to push. In my previous 3 births with pain meds, I was told when I needed to push. Big difference with this birth. No one needed to tell me when to push and the counting thing made no sense to me this time. My body knew when to push and when it needed to stop. Silas entered this world at 1:24pm after only 16 minutes of pushing, much to the amazement of Dr. Hearing and Amy for such a good size baby. I was impressed that Dr. Hearing stayed in the room pretty much from the time she broke my water until the time Silas arrived.

Now I understand why women are worn out after a natural childbirth. I felt great but was ready to relax and felt like I was constantly trying to catch my breath for the next hour. It was intense work. I'm glad I got to feel everything because I always would have wondered if I could have done it naturally at home. Now I know I could have.
The boys were so excited to meet Silas. I was a little curious as to what Levi would think. He fell in love instantly with Silas and didn't want to share him at all. Caleb and Josiah were also thrilled to meet Silas. I'm so thankful that they have so much love for their newest brother.

We were given a wonderful surprise when the pediatrician came in and commented that he heard we wanted to go home as soon as possible. He was even the on call pediatrician since we will be using a family practitioner. That was one thing I was struggling with about having a hospital birth, knowing I would be away from my other boys for more than one night. What a wonderful gift to know we would get to go home at the 24 hour mark.
Granddaddy had been taking care of the boys all day and then switched places with Kerry. Granddad stayed the night with Silas and I. It gave him some special uninterrupted time with Silas and we got to reminisce about what it was like when my sister and I were born.
Due to his weight, Silas' blood sugar had to be monitored for the first few hours. I enjoyed that we were not interrupted during the night. Silas took to nursing pretty much right away especially in the middle of the night when he became more alert.
The first 24 hours came and went quickly. Dr. Hearing performed his "surgery" on Thursday morning. Our nurse Amy from the day before was with us again on Monday. It was nice to have familiar faces surrounding us for such a short time. Kerry and the boys came up to the hospital around 10:00am. After taking turns loving on Silas, Granddaddy took the boys to lunch and then home. Silas had his first picture taken, hearing test performed, and PKU test administered. It was a relief when 3:00pm came and we were headed home. What a fast, wonderful first 24 hours. It is a joy to have Silas a part of our family. Let the fun really begin!


Colorado Dreamin' said...

I love all the pictures! So sweet!!!

The Blake Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS! We are excited that Silas and you are healthy and at home. Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

congratulations. Silas is so sweet. Glad you are doing well. Bartleys

The O'Connell Clan said...

I agree...awesome first 24 hours! God had a plan the whole time :-) Wish we could have all been there!