Sunday, January 11, 2009

Laughter and Sweet Memories

Tonight I did one of my favorite things. I watched home movies with my parents. It maybe a little weird to some, but I love it. Levi and Josiah went to sleep around 8 since they had not taken naps at all today. So, Caleb and Silas joined us to watch some home videos. We decided to watch some Christmas videos that are about 15 years old. The first one we watched tonight was when I was 15 and my sister was 11. We all laughed so hard at some of the funny things RyAnn and I did. I tried to be prim and proper while RyAnn was always good about being herself and saying exactly what she felt. Our annual Christmas Eve service kept us laughing so hard. It was hysterical to watch Caleb laugh at certain things. What shocked me was how much Caleb and I are alike. I saw him in me on the videos - like trying to do things to annoy my sister or trying to boss, something I had forgotten about. We watched all the way until Caleb's 2nd Christmas.

After taking Caleb and Silas to bed, I came back downstairs to see my dad had found a video of Pappy. It might have been the last video taken of him. We were celebrating his 95th birthday. Caleb was 3 and helping Pappy open his presents and showing him his birthday cake. It's hard at times to know those days are over. Pappy no longer spoke much, he didn't say one word on the video, but he looked intently at Caleb throughout most of it.

As the years past, we came to the year Kerry and I were engaged, our first Christmas together. We were in that new love phase, sitting really close to each other, always needing to be near the other person, like there weren't enough hours in the day.

*I was going back through posts and realized I never posted this one or completed it. I can't remember how I planned to end this post but wanted to include it. It's only over a year late.

No comments: