Thursday, July 29, 2010

Trip to Texas: Part 4 -- Broken Bones

Day 10: This was not in our vacation plans nor was it ever in my plans to experience as a mom. But I did. Kerry and I experienced our first broken bone, 2 bones actually as parents. Thankfully, we were together for this experience. And who was the lucky winner for this experience? Silas. Yes, the baby of the family who hasn't even reached his 2nd birthday.

7/14/2010 Silas getting his splint

It all started on Wednesday morning, July 14, 2010 in our hotel room in San Antonio, Texas. My parents, sister and her two boys were also there. The plan was to go to the Alamo that morning. We had just had breakfast and I was finishing up getting the boys ready and gathering our things. Silas decided that I needed to watch a new trick. He climbed up on couch and said, "Mom, watch me." I've been hearing that phrase a lot lately and said, "I'm watching." He proceeded to jump off the couch. It was not a perfect 10 landing and from the moment he landed I could tell he was hurting. He started crying immediately and kept grabbing at his leg. Kerry looked at his leg and there was no swelling. I started walking around with him trying to calm him down and took him into my parents room (connected). When my dad took a look at it 5 minutes after Kerry, it had started swelling. At this time, both Kerry and my Dad agreed that Silas needed to be seen. Nana, Granddad, and RyAnn graciously agreed to take care of the other three boys.

Before we were even in the car, my Dad was on the phone with David Miracle, pastor of Northridge Park Baptist Church, asking for the best children's hospital in San Antonio. When we arrived at Methodist Children's Hospital, David Miracle was already there waiting for us. It's such a blessing to know people in different cities and feel taken care of when there is a need.

Fortunately, the emergency room was not crowded when we arrived. We were taken back to a room immediately. Within minutes, the on call doctor (who happens to be from California) came in an talked with us. After that, we were taken to x-rays. They discovered that Silas has broken in left leg in two places and it looks like a chunk of bone was missing as well. Fortunately, the bones did not have to be set. They gave him medicine for pain and put him in the splint. Woodie, who put the splint on Silas was also from California. He contacted the pediatric orthopedic that we would be seeing on Friday for the cast and she stopped by to say hi. She also happens to be from California. It's always such a relief in the midst of pain to feel confident in the doctors that are taking care of your children. The California connection was such a big plus. It made us feel right at home.

7/14/2010 - Brock, Caleb, and Josiah on the way to the Alamo


7/14/2010 - Granddad with Braxton, Levi, Brock, Josiah, and Caleb at the Alamo (Nana's picture with the boys didn't turn out too well)

We made it back to the condo in time for lunch. We were able to get Silas settled before everyone else arrived back from the Alamo. The rest of the day for Silas and I was spent in bed or some form of being held. Everyone else spent the afternoon at the pool. I felt really bad that I wasn't spending anytime with my other 3 but they appeared to be having a blast and it didn't seem to phase them.

7/14/2010 - Silas feeling a little better that night as long as mommy was holding him. He did let Granddad hold him for a little while to give my arms a rest.

No comments: