Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to School


The three baseball players (random picture not related to this post)

We started homeschooling back up this week. Boy were we rusty! We have so enjoyed a couple of summer weeks mixed in with our trip to Texas. But now it's back to work. Josiah is officially in Kindergarten. He is proud to be in school like Caleb and loves letting Caleb know each day that he has finished before him. I'm working on explaining that Caleb has more work to do and that it's now a race. Josiah is doing very well and I love the questions he asks especially during our Bible Study time. Some of his latest questions include, "Who will help us find our way to heaven?" "Will we just wake up in heaven?" I love these questions! I also love seeing my kids learn to read! So much fun!

Caleb is in fifth grade. Caleb and I both will be learning a lot this year. This week has been intense as we are both learning the ropes of fifth grade and the added work that comes with being a fifth grader. He will be learning to take on more responsibility of his schooling with him doing more projects on his own. I know he will do great once we get into a routine.

I am still trying to find the best flow to our day. Levi loves to be right with Josiah when he is doing his school which means Silas is right by Levi. They don't want to be left out. Levi and Silas appear to be used to Josiah playing with them so they stay pretty close by. They will sit at the table and color or will participate in science experiments, rhymes, music -- okay most of the fun stuff.

My biggest prayer is that we find a good rhythm to our days especially with Caleb's schooling. It is a lot of learning this year and I want to balance the more challenging subjects with the more enjoyable things like art throughout the day. We are looking forward to the weekend when we can relax and just play.

1 comment:

Colorado Dreamin' said...

We started back this week, too! I posted about it on my homeschool blog, there is a link to it from my other one if you want to see the stuff we use. I LOVE it! This is our first year to use the Paths of Exploration (it is a one year curriculum but they have others that follow it). I have a 6th and 4th grader this year. Fun, fun! hugs!