Sunday, August 08, 2010

Cast #2 for Silas


We knew once we returned from Texas, Silas would need to be seen by an orthopedic. The Monday after we returned I called his doctor's office. It took them over a week and me leaving 3 messages to get a return phone call. This past week I called the orthopedic on Monday. By Thursday I had not received a return phone call. I called Thursday morning and they called me back around lunch time. After explaining his situation, they said he needed to be seen quickly. That got him in for the following day.

The nurse on the phone told me that they would not take the cast off the following day, because it would be too soon. After checking in, they took us down to the "casting room." The "casting guy" looked at his cast and said it was now too loose and had to come off. I was thinking wonderful thought of giving Silas a bath as soon as we got home or blowing up the little swimming pool in the backyard. Not the case. They took x-rays and even though it is healing nicely, they felt he needed to be in a cast for another 3 weeks. And not just a short cast, a long one. Silas and I aren't too happy about it. I understand why they feel he needs a long cast but now he really can't walk on much. So that means I am carrying him almost everywhere, even around the house. It also seems a little sore since he is having to move around at an odd angle. I did decide to go ahead and order a cover for the cast so that he can take a bath and maybe even go to the beach. I'm looking forward to that coming in the mail this week. Three weeks sounds like a very long time now.

1 comment:

Colorado Dreamin' said...

Poor baby! I am sure the time will pass quickly. With four boys you have your hands full 24/7!