Friday, September 10, 2010

Back into Baseball

Tonight, I loaded up all the boys and we went to Caleb's first baseball practice of the season. He was excited to be playing again and I have to admit I enjoy watching him play. As we were walking up to the practice I experienced an array of emotions: thankful that Caleb has done so well with moving so many times and having a new coach and a new set of teammates each year, sad that we have moved so much and hearing other people tell me that their children have been playing in this league since they were 5, proud that I knew Caleb would go out and do his very best, nervous that his best might not measure up after not playing for a year, and joy as Caleb did his very best and although a little rusty will do just fine.

All the other boys dressed in their baseball gear to support their brother (the only picture taken was on Kerry's phone). After we got home from practice tonight, Caleb mentioned that I didn't take any pictures or videos of him. I told him I would do that on Sunday at his scrimmage. That comment struck me as I realized that even at 10 he still needs to feel loved and important by my actions. He watched as I took pictures and videos of Josiah's soccer practice and noticed that I didn't take any of his. Even if no other parent was taken pictures of their 10-12 year olds, it was still important to him.

The game/scrimmage is set from 4:00p.m. to 6:00p.m., and the coach told the parents to have them there at 3:30p.m. After practice, Caleb informed me he needed to be there at 3:00. I informed him that we didn't need to be there until 3:30 but he said the coach told them if they got there early they could start practicing. I guess we will be getting there early. I'd much prefer him wanting to get there early than not having any enthusiasm for it.

No comments: