Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Gymnastics Versus Soccer



At the beginning of August, I signed Josiah up for soccer with the realization that we would probably be placed on a waiting list. The date that we should have received a phone call came and went. Since we have decided as a family (okay me and Kerry) that the minimum age to play sports in our family would be age five, I knew I had to find Josiah something to play or he would be devastated. He had waited 5 long years for this moment. I spoke with Josiah to let him know that he probably wouldn't get on a team with the league we signed up with originally but that I had found another place that he could learn soccer or t-ball. I could see his mind churning. He said, "Do you remember when you said I could try gymnastics if I hadn't already signed up for soccer?" I remembered saying that, and he decided he wanted to try gymnastics. I called that very day to a nearby gymnastics center and they had an opening for him to try out the class that afternoon to see if he liked it.

To say if was excited would be an understatement. You would have thought it was Christmas. So, the other three boys and I watch him during his entire class. It sure brought back memories of my gymnastic days. He was beaming the entire time. After the class, he couldn't wait to talk to Kerry on the phone and then called Nana and Granddad to share the news that he was going to take gymnastics. By this time I was in shock over how much he had loved it. I started seeing images of Josiah in competitions as he got older and me being a "gym mom." I even called them back and they said he could start in September.

That same evening, I wrote to the soccer league explaining that I was pretty sure that my son was on the waiting list and that I needed to remove him because I had make sure he got to play something this year. The next day, I received a phone call from them saying that he had indeed been placed on a team and that they had emailed me and his coach. I thanked them and decided that I would let Josiah decide. We also have a one sport at a time policy in our family. With four boys, there is no way we could afford or juggle that many activities. At first he asked if he could do both, I told him he could only choose one.

He chose soccer. I was a little surprised. He had his first practice this past Friday and loved it. I don't know if he really cares what he plays as long as he is playing something. I think he loves that for a little bit we are all watching him and cheering him on like he has watched us do with Caleb. He was so proud when he got his uniform. I have to admit, he looks pretty cute in it.

No comments: