Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Welcoming Church

We had an extremely busy weekend for us. One baseball practice, one soccer game, one baseball game, 3 church services (we were at all three), and me dragging all of my boys including Kerry shopping to help me find an outfit to wear. I'm sure it is a taste of what is to come with 4 children. Not sure I am ready for it though.

Anyway, this past weekend at church we were "introduced" to our new church this weekend. When Kerry told me that they were introducing us up on stage during all three services I got a little nervous. I used to love being on stage when I was younger, but now I prefer to be way in the background. Let everyone see and know Kerry and the boys, and I'll just stand to the side supporting them.

This time I couldn't hide. The first thing I felt I needed to do was decide on what the boys should wear. The two little ones already had something that would work, but the older two needed new shirts in the same color scheme as the younger two. Fortunately, they did very well on agreeing with the shirts. They would not have been my first choice, but neither would they have been my last pick. I think it was a good compromise.

I took three of the boys with me one night to try and find me something to wear. I am not good at shopping by myself. It is lonely, and I need someone to tell me the truth. My mom and sister are very good at this but they aren't here. Plus, I have been pregnant or nursing babies for the past 6 years (still nursing) and haven't really focused on fashion at all. I came home with a dress that Caleb said was great only to look at Kerry and see that he didn't like it. So, a few hours before the Saturday night service, he and the boys went with me and Kerry picked out something for me. I think from now on I will let Kerry shop for me, because I was pleased with what he picked out.

After being introduced at all of the services this weekend, I got a little teary-eyed at the wonderful welcome that the people of our church gave us. They made us feel so loved and welcomed. While walking down the halls, people time and time again stopped us to say that they were glad we were there. I got to meet other moms that home school their children and people that have already invited us into their homes. We have been at some wonderful, amazing churches, both big and small, but this one is standing out. We even received a sweet, handwritten letter in the mail from a family welcoming us. They have made us feel so accepted that I want to be able to give back to them. I hope in the near future, I will be able to start giving back by serving them.

No comments: