Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Week Before Christmas

(Very long post so that when I actually find time to scrapbook, all the details will be in one place)

My Dad flew to California on Tuesday, December 14th to drive us to Texas. He gets Granddad of the year for driving me, 4 boys, and a dog all the way to Texas. He even helped gas the car and take Bailey for potty breaks. Wednesday evening, Caleb had "Mock Rock" at church for Element. Families were invited to attend. Caleb was so funny as he participated in his group's act.

Caleb dressed up as an elf - his group won 2nd place

Thursday, December 16th - We woke up early and drove all the way to Las Cruces, NM. What great travelers we have! The boys enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool once we arrived. They were also very excited to watch television since we don't have cable or satellite in our home.

Friday, December 17th - Texas here we come! Once again, it was a full day of travel, but Nana and Granddad's house was our destination! We arrived to find my favorite meal cooked by my mom. The boys were thrilled to be out of the car and being at their home away from home. RyAnn, Brock, and Braxton even stopped by for a few minutes.

Saturday, December 18th - I was so thankful to not have much to do on this day. I spent most of this day trying to get organized. It was a beautiful, warm day, so Nana and RyAnn to all six boys to the park to play while I tried to unpack.

Sunday, December 19th - We went to church with Nana and Granddad. Caleb went early with Nana to volunteer in the nursery. He loves serving! We enjoyed the Christmas musical. My sister and her family came too. After that, we enjoyed another wonderful homemade lunch. Sunday afternoon was spent playing in the backyard and relaxing. Nana and Granddad took us to look at Christmas lights that night, and then we stopped by RyAnn's house for a quick visit before calling it a night.

6 cousins having fun with their silly pose

Monday, December 20th - My mom received a phone call that Papa had fallen and broken his hip. Plans were made quickly for her to make a trip to Arkansas that day. Meanwhile, me, my sister, Nana, Nate, and all the boys headed to the mall to go ice skating. Wow! What a workout! Nana watched and stood with those that needed a break until she had to leave for Arkansas. Caleb and Josiah took to ice skating how they do every other sport - with ease. You would have thought they had been skating for years. I had to take turns taking Levi and Silas around the rink. It was not easy. It would have been so much easier to pick them up and skate. However, I'm not that confident in my skating ability to risk injuring one of my children. After skating, we took a ride on the carousel before going to the house.

Josiah and Caleb ice skating


Levi riding the carousel. He was not too happy about the horses we/mom and Silas chose for the ride. He was fine once it started.

Tuesday, December 21st - We went to one of our favorite places - Fossil Rim. Our families have grown so much (okay ours has grown) that we now have to take two cars. Caleb and Josiah loved feeding the animals. Levi liked the "little deer" but none of the larger animals. Silas enjoyed all of the animals as long as he didn't get too close to them. Our favorite is always feeding the giraffes. I don't think Braxton would agree though since he screamed as his Mommy tried to get him to feed the giraffes, but everyone else enjoyed seeing these gentle creatures up close and feeding them out of our hands.


The giraffes eating out of RyAnn's hand


Granddad with all the boys

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - I really wasn't planning on taking the boys to the Fort Worth Zoo this time, but they asked to go. We visit the Fort Worth Zoo at least once a year and the boys never grow tired of going. The had a new section of the zoo open - The Museum of Living Art, and the boys were excited to see it since the reptiles and amphibians were in there. Plus, there is always plenty of room for four boys to run and play. It was a perfect day to go since it was a little cool. This meant most of the animals were up and moving around. We even got to see the hippos get out of the water which has never happened when we've visited in the past.

My mom returned home this evening. I know she felt torn to be in two places at once - home with us and in Arkansas with her Dad.

The boys inside the new exhibit - The Museum of Living Art

Thursday, December 23, 2010 - All of the boys except Caleb went to the movies with me, Nana, and RyAnn. Caleb opted to stay at the house with Granddad. I think all of the activities caught up with him, and he needed a rest.


Silas and Levi with my parents' new baby - Lily. This is about as close as anyone can get to her besides my parents. She ended up really liking Silas for some reason. She didn't want me near her, but she actually tolerated Silas trying to pick her up once. She didn't even run away from him once he let go. I think they all want a little dog now.

Friday, December 24, 2010 - Caleb, Silas, and I ran some last minute errands before the Christmas Eve service at my parents' church. Caleb picked out a new sweater while we were out. He also went early with Granddad to church, and when we arrived he was already helping pass out the candles to everyone. During the service, they served the Lord's Supper. Granddad had to take Silas out, because he was so heartbroken that he couldn't take part in the Lord's Supper. All of the boys, especially Levi and Silas thought holding the candles during Silent Night was pretty exciting. I think this is the first Christmas Eve Kerry and I didn't see each other since we met, but it was really nice getting to spend it with family and not feel so lonely while Kerry was serving on Christmas Eve.

Me and my boys

No comments: