Thursday, December 06, 2012

May 2, 2012 - June 3, 2012

We arrived back in Texas on Wednesday, May 2. We survived the trip this time with bringing the dog.  My mother-in-law was in the hospital until Friday, May 4, so our first two days were spent going back and forth to the hospital.  Part of the following week was spent trying to get back into a routine of some sort. 

I have to admit I was thankful to be here in Texas for Mother's Day weekend.  I was able to go to the Arlington Home School Bookfair while my parents took care of the three little ones.  This was also the first year I have gotten to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom since 2005.  With the weather becoming nice, the boys and I started spending more time at the park, even bringing school along so we could enjoy as much fresh air as possible. 

The week of the 21st found us taking my mother-in-law for pre-op for a pacemaker followed by the surgery on the 23rd.  If I recall (and all the dates are running together), I believe this was the surgery we had to get to the hospital really early.  I was thankful my brother-in-law was able to come.  It still wasn't easy getting three little ones to the hospital by 5am. Once again, I was so proud of them for their behavior in the hospital.  I think we were there for 6-7 hours before leaving.  We also came back that night to spend some time with her.  I was amazed that she was ready to come home the following day. 

Just as we thought things were getting better, she had a doctor's appointment on the 31st for a follow up on her pacemaker.  By this time, I had learned to be prepared with the boys.  I always had one to two bags packed with things to do - books, toys, gameboys, ipad, dvd players, etc.  At the follow up appointment, we were told to go straight to the hospital.  The doctor wanted to do another surgery that day as he was going out of town the following day and wanted it done.  In a little bit of a shock, I grabbed the boys (and me) some lunch and started driving to the hospital while making phone calls.  We were at the hospital for a really long time this time.  The boys were amazing.  They had already been to one doctor and now were in the hospital for a really long time.  We went home that evening with plans to come back in the morning (but not too early).

I received a call the following morning from her, that the surgery didn't work and the doctor was taking her back to surgery.  By this time, I couldn't handle much more. I called my parents saying I needed some help.  I threw things in a suitcase for the boys and headed to the hospital.  Before I could get there, she was already in surgery.  I was able to talk to the doctor after the surgery and he was pretty certain this took care of the problem.  Her sister and brother-in-law arrived, and I drove the boys half way for my dad to take them back to Arlington.  Once I dropped them off, I went back to the hospital. 

The following day, I woke with a stomach ache.  I barely made it to the hospital. Right before we were to leave, she started not feeling well.  The on call doctor decided to keep her a little longer to give her some fluids.  I went home and had to call a friend of hers to bring her home.  I felt bad that I couldn't do it, but I couldn't get out of bed I felt so bad.  I stayed in bed pretty much the entire time until I had to pick the boys up Sunday afternoon. 

Boys swimming in the backyard

No comments: